Renting a Home
Renting a home can be a great alternative to purchasing a home when you are either not ready to buy or when you are only going to be in an area for only a year or so. It calls for many informed decisions and for good advice from a real estate professional. When renting a home, you can learn from the knowledge and skill of a Real Estate Agent.
On the hunt for a rental property? Fill out this Google Rental Inquiry Form and I'll be happy to assist you!
Here are some things to help prepare you for what is (in most cases) required for securing a rental:
- Security Deposit: 1.5 months rent is the most that a landlord can charge for a security deposit in New Jersey
- 1 month of rent in advance (due at time of acceptance and signing of lease agreement)
- Employment/Income Verification: Generally, a few recent pay stubs is sufficient, but it's also helpful if you provide the contact to your HR Department on your rental application
- Credit/Background Check: At RE/MAX First Realty, we use National Tenant Network, a tenant screening company that provides credit reports and background checks. There is a $40 fee per applicant (link below or click on the National Tenant Network hyperlink)
- References: Providing references (non-relatives) on your lease application
- Tenant Insurance: Most times you can obtain a tenant's insurance policy through your auto insurance company for a bundle discount!
- Certificate of Occupancy from Township: In almost all towns, this is required before any tenants moving into a rental, but this is also taken care of by the landlord
- Find some more VERY useful Resources and links below...
Resources & Links for Tenants: